I am an author, ghostwriter, blogger, speaker, poet, artist, literary agent, entertainment manager, wife of one man, mother of two men, and best friends with Jesus, Son of Man.
I studied creative writing and film at York University in Toronto, Ontario, and theology at Christ for the Nations Institute in Dallas, Texas. That also happens to be where I met Dwight, the love of my life.
Our relationship basically started in the red-light district, the rough and tough parts of town where we eagerly loved on people as part of an evangelism team. Sharing our faith drew us together, and catapulted us into adventure.
We spent a month in Israel sharing our faith, dancing and singing on the streets, ministering on beaches, in synagogues and Arab churches. One perfect prayerful night, when we sat on the shores of the Sea of Galilee, Dwight whispered, “The only thing missing is fireworks.” Minutes later, colors filled the sky and thunderous booms shook the air. At every turn God taught us how much he loves his kids.
A year after we were married God blessed us with Billy, a prophesied baby. Then came Justin and our sky filled with more colors and sounds. Billy, twenty-four, and Justin, twenty, now live with us in our Rochester, Minnesota, home, where we love worshipping the Lord in our living room.
My first book came by “accident.” After I wrote poems for a friend dying of cancer, the keynote speaker at a Christian writer’s conference encouraged me to turn them into a gift book. A few years later, A Friend in the Storm released with Zondervan.
When people ask me about getting published, I refer them to conferences like The Northwestern Christian Writer’s Conference where I’m on faculty.
Everyone has a story. What has shaped you to become the person you are today? What are you most passionate about?
Me? I write true stories that encourage people to deeper intimacy with Christ, and I want my stories to be entertaining, believable, and transformative.
In A Friend in the Storm, the poetry, quotes, and Scripture blend into a gut-real conversation with the God of all comfort as he helps us better trust His love, Sovereignty, mystery, and perfect timing.
Rush of Heaven: One Woman’s Miraculous Encounter with Jesus introduces us to a lady God introduced to me right here in my own city. After seeing Ema McKinley on the 700 Club, I fervently asked God for a chance to write her story. A local anchorwoman, who I’d blessed one day when I stepped out of my comfort zone to pray for her, remembered me when she interviewed Ema. She recommended me, God moved on Ema’s heart, and Ema asked me to be her collaborator.
For Josiah’s Fire, God led me to an out-of-town event featuring a last-minute fill-in talk by Tahni Cullen about her incredible autistic son, his communication miracle, his visits to heaven, and his powerful prophetic words. After Tahni finished speaking, she just happened to sit down at my table, and God worked it all out for me to become her collaborator. Not long after Josiah’s Fire was released, The Good Gift Giver was born.
If God calls you to write, he’ll make a way. Stay close to him. Don’t give up. Press forward in prayer. Read and write daily. Keep a pure open heart before him. He equips those He calls. Thank him in advance for the open doors ahead of you?
Father, thank you for dreaming God-sized dreams in our hearts. Breathe fresh fiery confidence in the heart of each aspiring writer reading these words. Inspire, anoint, invigorate, and shine on them your mighty favor and light. In Jesus Name. Amen!
• Jesus is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
• For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him.
• He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
• And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.
• For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.
• Our attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
• Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
• And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death – even death on a cross!
• Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
• Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess.
• For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin.
• Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
Art by Cheryl
Multiple sizes of prints available upon request.
Cheryl speaks with sensitivity, humor, and Holy Spirit passion, teaching and inspiring women to leap into their God-given destinies and laugh at the days to come. Topics include:
Trusting God’s Love
As we see ourselves through God’s eyes and delight in our worth, we encounter a fresh baptism of God’s love which transforms us to embrace our circumstances and dreams with a mountain of joy and expectancy.
Expecting The Impossible
Signs, wonders, and miracles abound. By examining and celebrating Biblical and modern examples of miracles and healing, we are stretched and stirred to expect, embrace, and move forward with a courageous contagious supernatural lifestyle.
Growing In Intimacy with Jesus
Tests and trials can either pull us farther or closer from God and others. We have a choice. Every thought we allow into our minds can be a bright opportunity to fall in love with Jesus all over again.
Cheryl also loves speaking at writer’s conferences and writer’s groups. These professional topics include:
Writing Memoir and Narrative Non-Fiction
Everybody has a story to tell. Whether you tell your own or someone else’s, you can learn to harness your literary prowess by strengthening key components that will take your book to the next level!
Partnering with God as you Write
It all starts and ends with God. Learn how journaling alongside other projects improves everything. Grow in your ability to listen to God’s voice, align your heart with his, and figure out what he wants you to write.
Schedule Cheryl to Speak
To schedule a speaking engagement with Cheryl, please send her a message here.